Monday, May 28, 2007

Perfect Timing

I don't even know where to begin. Cape Town fells like my second home. It is mostly because of Taya (one of my friends that convinced me to go on this trip), Fidel, and Mary-ann. Taya and her family had open their home to me for the weekend. It is one thing to live in a hostel or stay in a hotel, but when someone opens their home to you in another country you feel as though all of South Africa has welcomed you in.

Taya and her friends allowed me to be a part of their many discussions on current South African affairs, politics, and culture. On Saturday we went on a wine tour and tasting of South Africa's best wines...or at least some of their best wines as you can see from picture below. One experience that I have never done, but I will be doing again. You start in the morning by having wine with breakfast, tasting of wine during the day, and wine over a late lunch. Now that I think about, I'm surprise I remembered anything. Yes, you are suppose to spit it out but why waste all of that good wine.
I could not leave any vineyard without leaving my signature in the guest books.




Yesterday, was our physical activity by tackling one of the two famous mountains in Cape Town, Lion's Head, the other being Table Top Mountain. Before we took to the mountain we all made a pack to make it to the top together. To help exericise the lungs and prepare the respiratory system for such a rigorous task, half of the group decided to indulge with a very healthy cigarette. Me, on the other hand, took the more healthier route and ate a Twix bar with is delicious caramel and cookie crunch.
So up the mountain we went. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that we went up to catch the sunset. It is said the the best view of all of Cape Town is from the top of Lion's Head. From the start it seemed like a pretty easy trail nice and wide.

It was all pleasant looking towards to the top of the mountain.


We must pause to look at the view mid way up the mountian. (Someone should start selling my scenic pictures)


Wait one minute! This trial is not as easy as we thought. There was actual CLIMBING going on.
To cut the trial in half you can climb up the chains to safe time. The sign at the bottom said "Use the Chains at Your Own Risk". We took that to mean go ahead and kill yourself....so we took the chains.

All I kept on thinking was please don't fall.

As we got closer and closer to the top the sun started to disappear.

Finally we all made it to the top. However, the sun was gone, we were tired, and that meant hiking done the whole mountain in the dark. That is what I call perfect timing.



Good thing Fidel knew to pack a flash light.

No comments: