Friday, May 18, 2007

Beautiful sight...but the official "Shake Down"


Amazing. There are not enough words to describe what I have seen over the past three days. Rome was in ruins, Barcelona had narrow streets, Paris had political riots, London had bad food, and Egypt had the pyramids.


My hike through Europe was me, my bag, and my travel guide. However, I got the official upgrade when I got to Cairo. From the minute we got there we had our own personal travel guide and driver to take us to the different sights. As I flew into Cairo at 2:30 in the morning I could still see the turns of the Nile River from the window of the plane.

The pyramids were the first place Stephanie and I visited. You are drive through the very crowded and hectic streets of Cairo (you think driving in NY is crazy, go to Cairo) all of a sudden the streets get real quite, cars turn into mules pulling carts, and buildings are replaced by farm land that is watered by the Nile. When you see the pyramids and the different tombs you can only be amazed at what the Egyptians had to do in order to build them. So I could not believe that I was actually there. I had to put my hands in the sand to really feel the desert.

The best part about seeing the pyramids was riding a camel around them. That was the official beginning of the shake down. When the 13 year old kid who was taking us around on the camels took our picture and then demanded 50 Egyptian pounds for them. At one point he held our cameras until we pulled out some money, which we did give him. When I say shake down, I mean no matter what you do or where you go in Egypt everyone wants an unreasonable tip. The cab driver wanted a tip for a picture. The man holding the broom at the pyramids asked for a tip because he said hello. Then random people start jumping into your pictures all for, you guessed it, a tip. After awhile very nice hospitality turned into a nuisance. The people are very nice, but expect to pay out of pocket for it.

I must mention our 1950 style of travel from Cairo to Aswan. I mean we had a sleeping car porter who was there to let down our beds and serve food. It was a train fully equipped with arm guards ready to throw down at a moments notice. Even though it was 12 hour ride it only felt like three. Plus, in the morning you can see the Nile River from the train which is lined by the biggest palm trees you will ever see. In Aswan everything is on an island which is only accessible by motor boat or felucca. Sailing on the Nile in a felucca is up there with the camel ride.

It would not be socially responsible of me if I do not acknowledge some of the social conditions of Egypt. While the tourist enjoy first class developed accommodations, still many in Cairo and Aswan can only realize 3rd world conditions. The amount of kids (5-13) who were working and selling things to tourist on the street was shocking. Even the ones working in the carpet industry, which we had visited. For Aswan the tourist make up a huge part of their economy.

There is so much more to tell you, but I have to leave the internet cafe. I'll post more stuff later with picture.

As they say to me in Aswan, bye cousins.....




















This is our Cairo tour guide Rehamm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just got caught up..keep the blogs coming I am so jealous

Rick/Bev said...

Hey Adam:
Enjoyed reading your blog. Sounds like you're having an exciting time. Can't wait to see more pictures.